Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of JULY!

It’s week five of my internship, and I must say this place is starting to feel like home. Of course I do miss the wide open spaces of the south and that charming “southern drawl”. However, I’ve brought a little bit of home to the big city and who knows, maybe I’m here to stay.

Last Sunday I received some upsetting news about my grandmother, “Gran”. She was put in the hospital for about a week but wasn’t able to hold on. She passed away July 3rd. I’m usually not one to share personal details such as this, but I can’t ignore the thoughts and feelings that have been running through my mind, and since the purpose of this blog is to keep everyone informed, I think it’s only right to share a few words about someone who has touched my life in such a deep way. It’s been bitter/sweet reminiscing on all of the cherished memories, knowing that new memories are a thing of the past. I’m so grateful to have known such a wonderful person. To those of you who have never had the opportunity to meet my Gran, just picture Lucille Ball, and there you have it! Looks, personality, the whole nine yards! I’m choosing to remember her with a laugh and a smile! I’m flying home on Thursday to be with my family for the funeral. On a lighter note, I’m keeping my sense of humor, which she would want. As I travel to the Deep South, I plan on satisfying my craving for fried chicken, collard greens, and HOMEMADE mashed potatoes!!!

This week was Ashton’s last week in the city, so of course we had a lot of bases to cover! On Saturday we shopped till we dropped which included trekking down to Little Italy for some authentic Italian cuisine. We went to a personal favorite, Florio’s!!! After lunch we walked around Little Italy and parts of SoHo then eventually came across Chinatown where we were bombarded by women and men trying to sell us Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, and Coach! Oh the joys of NYC. I think we even passed a man selling copies of the Twilight hit, Eclipse. And you know what that means, buying a copy of someone videotaping the actual movie. The things people do to make a buck! On Sunday, we decided that you can never shop too much, so we headed down to Times Square. On the way we ate at a very authentic Mexican Restaurant. Again let me remind all of my Statesboro readers that I am unfortunately not referring to Mexican food “El Sombrero” style! You can kiss free refills of Coca-Cola, chips, and salsa good bye. And if you start craving guacamole, DON’T! Unless you want to pay $15, which in my case is just fine because you can’t put a price on good guacamole. After chowing down, we made our way to Zara, H&M, and J.Crew, where some very cute purchases were made.

On the Subway!


Now, I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this but, each morning I wake up to screaming children playing in a park below my building and a very persistent Mr. Softee, AKA the ice cream truck that comes around every five minutes blaring the Mr. Softee jingle! For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, I’ve inserted the lovely jingle that wakes me up every morning! Needless to say, I have developed a love/hate relationship with Mr. Softee. The 4th was a particularly scorching hot day in NYC, so couldn’t help myself. I caved and gave in to Mr. Softee!

Mr. Softee jingle! It may sound sweet at first but it's NOT, don't be fooled!!!



Ashton, Meagan, and I enjoyed our ice cream in Bryant Park. For all you fashionistas out there, Bryant Park is known as the venue of the fashion shows during Fashion Week! After consuming those delicious calories, we headed back to Columbia to get ready for the Macy’s fireworks. We stopped at a local market to buy goods for our picnic. The fireworks were magnificent, the best I’ve ever seen! We watched them in a park that ran along the Hudson River.

Park along the Hudson...



Waiting on the fireworks!!



After the fireworks, we headed down to Greenwich to continue our July 4th celebration. We met a couple of UGA Alums and a Zeta. Small world! We spent the rest of the night hanging around in Greenwich Village.

Monday, was my day of rest! After Ashton got all packed up, we headed out for a quick lunch and reminisced on all the fun we packed into these past two weeks! She hit the road after lunch which was depressing because it’s always sad to see a little piece of home leave.


Work has been great! I’ve been working closely with one of the head designers at TH which is very exciting. He’s full of great advice and really utilizes the interns! He has been busy working on the Men’s 2011 fall collection. We got to talking about fashion shows and he mentioned something about me coming back to attend Fashion Week! I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July! Cheers!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment